c.1880 Grand Jeu Lenormand with Gaudais mark, published by B.P. Grimaud in Paris, France
Published by J. Gaudais, c.1880
Free Shipping Worldwide
First published in 1845, two years after the death of Mlle Le Normand, this 54-card fortune-telling deck includes two consultant cards. The card images include references to Greek mythology, alchemy, allegories, and other astrological and mythological topics. This deck is an early B.P. Grimaud edition of the deck, still bearing the mark of J. Gaudais on the consultant card.
· Borders: thin single black line
· Reverses: tartan plaid back in red and pink
· Paper: pasteboard cardstock
· Titles: no titles
· Style: Grand Jeu Lenormand (Astro Mythological)
· Tax Stamp: Tax stamp on Ace of Clubs. “This stamp was in use in France from 1890 to 1917, and from 1922 to 1940. The text is 'RÉPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE' and 'DÉCRET DU 12 AVRIL 1890'" (Enderbrock 2011).
Very good condition; complete 54/54 cards, blue stain on verso of one card/ (see photographs)