c.1860 Épinal Tarot (75/78 cards)
Published by Pellerin & Cie., Épinal, Vosges, France, c.1860
Engraved by François Georgin (1801-1863)
Free Shipping Worldwide
Deck: Épinal Tarot/ Tarot d'Épinal
Description: Incomplete (75/78 cards) copy of the Épinal Tarot, printed c.1860. The woodcuts were produced by the famed engraver, François Georgin (1801-1863) and the deck was published by Pellerin & Cie. for over fourty years.
"The Épinal tarot cards are believed to have been first published in 1830 by the art printers Pellerin & Cie, who were established in the Vosges district of France since 1796 ... The cards were in production until the 1870s." [Rod Starling 2013 (2022), WOPC].
· Style: Épinal (Tarot de Marseille/Tarot de Besançon variation)
· Borders: medium single black line
· Reverses: white intricate floral pattern on green
· Paper: solid pasteboard
· Titles: French
· Retains general features of TdM
· Uses Besançon style for Arcana II and V, Juno and Jupiter
· The Magician is "Escamoteur" (The Conjurer)
· The Hermit is "Le Capucin" (The Monk)
· Justice card with mirror and snake next to a book and stone engraving of laws
· Empress and Emperor card are unnumbered
·Death card is not numbered
Very Good condition, incomplete with 75 of 78 cards (missing Major Arcana #2, Juno and the 2 and 3 of Wands ), with very little signs of use or wear. Some minor foxing and occasional light darkening.