c.1900 "Moghul Ganjifa", 90/96 cards
Published by Unknown
Deck: "Moghul Ganjifa"
Description: Date unknown, likely early 20th century cards, "Moghul Ganjifa." Incomplete 90/96 cards, round painted cards decorated in green, gold and red. Eight suits of 12 cards each; each suit is distinctively coloured and is comprised of ten pip cards, numbered from 1 to 10 and two court cards, a vizier and a king. Red solid reverses, painted and varnished, with some lacks. Enclosed in a box decorated with a floral pattern.
These are the eight suits with missing cards listed:
1. ḡolām (servant/slave): missing Wazir & Shah;
2. tāj (crowns): missing Shah;
3. šamšīr (Swords) missing #10 & Wazir;
4. Zare Sork ('red' gold coins) complete;
5. čang (harps) missing Wazir;
6. barāt (bills of exchange) missing #1 & Wazir;
7. zar-e safīd (white gold coins) complete;
8. qomāš (cloth, here lotus or plant) complete."
· Style: Mughal Ganjifa (Safvid Ganjifa)
· Borders: three to four coloured rings of different alternating colours (dark red, gold, golden yellow, black, and green)
· Reverses: reddish-range with lighter circle border
· Indices: No indices
CONDITION: Good condition; incomplete (90/96 cards); some signs of
wear, discolouration and fading; with chips, paint cracks, and lacks on
some cards; missing Wazir & Shah of the ḡolām (servant/slave) suit;
missing the Shah of tāj (crowns); missing #10 & Wazir šamšīr (Swords);
missing Wazir of čang (harps); missing #1 & Wazir of barāt (bills of
exchange). Box in good condition, decorated with flower pattern; chips,
lacks and wear, box damage with upper edge broken and absent.
Card measurements: 5 cm (diameter); Box, 10.4 x 6.9 x 6 cm