c.1860 Épinal Tarot (78/78 cards)
Published by Pellerin & Cie., Épinal, Vosges, France, c.1860
Engraved by François Georgin (1801-1863)
Free Shipping Worldwide
Deck: Épinal Tarot/ Tarot d'Épinal
Description: Complete (78/78 cards) copy of the Épinal Tarot, printed c.1860. The woodcuts were produced by the famed engraver François Georgin (1801-1863), and the deck was published by Pellerin & Cie. for over forty years.
"The Épinal tarot cards are believed to have been first published in 1830 by the art printers Pellerin & Cie, who were established in the Vosges district of France since 1796 ... The cards were in production until the 1870s." [Rod Starling 2013 (2022), WOPC].
· Style: Épinal (Tarot de Marseille/Tarot de Besançon variation)
· Borders: medium single black line
· Reverses: green honeycomb pattern
· Paper: solid pasteboard
· Titles: French
· Retains general features of TdM
· Uses Besançon style for Arcana II and V, Juno and Jupiter
· The Magician is "Escamoteur" (The Conjurer)
· The Hermit is "Le Capucin" (The Monk)
· Justice card with mirror and snake next to a book and stone engraving of laws
· Empress and Emperor card are unnumbered
·Death card is not numbered
CONDITION: Very Good condition, complete with 78 of 78 cards, with very few signs of use or wear. Some minor foxing and occasional light darkening.