c.1890 Nouveau Jeu De La Main
Complete 56/56 cards with booklet and indicator cards
Published by B. P. Grimaud, Paris, France c.1890
Card Measurements: 11.7 cm x 6.3 cm
Antique Parisian palmistry cards, following the mid 19th-century designs by Adele Moreau this deck was printed by B. P. Grimaud of Paris, in France, c.1890. Complete 56/56 cards with, 3 indicator cards (2 pink and one blue), booklet, and box.
· Style: Chiromancy/Palmistry
· Titles: French
· Borders: black frame
· Reverses: blue pattern of circular swirls
· Paper: pasteboard cardstock
· Corners: square
· Tax-Stamp: No. 48; “This stamp was in use in France from 1890 to 1917, and from 1922 to 1940.” The text reads 'RÉPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE' and 'DÉCRET DU 12 AVRIL 1890'. (Endebrock 2011).
· Manufacturer Mark: #56 with "Chiromancie Nouvelle de Mme A. Moureau (Eève de Melle Lenormand et de A. de. PARA D'HERMES"
CONDITION: Very good condition overall; Complete deck with 56 of 56 cards, plus 3 indicator cards (2 pink and 1 blue), booklet and box. The cards are in very good condition with few signs of wear, age discolouration, and patina; several cards with notations in pale blue ink; booklet in very good condition, complete, with some creasing and corner folds; box is in good condition, with both sleeves present, outer sleeve missing top tab; inner and outer sleeves do not come apart easily, however, the box is still intact and useful as an container; front label preserved with lack at bottom. See photographs for full condition details.